Anime review time! :)

Hi everyone!

It just occurred to me that I should link Myanimelist here. Feel free to friend me/message me on there; I accept all requests.

Here it is: https://myanimelist.net/profile/internet_shoujo

You can look at all the anime I've watched! I only update it after I've completed a series.  I used to be strictly shoujo, but most of the anime I watch are shounen and seinen animes. Some animes I've just finished are Devilman: Crybaby, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and B: The Beginning.

Review: Devilman Crybaby - Imprint

Devilman: Crybaby Review

There's got to be something about putting a colon in the title of anime that makes it really good. Or maybe it's the other way around; colons are only in the titles of good anime.

Devilman: Crybaby was really intriguing and I liked the concept, even though it felt a little done-before. Ryo was my favorite character. I loved his character design and his genius personality. I liked Akira too, but a part of me hoped that he would revert back to his normal self.

Parts of this anime seemed recognizable, and I can't really tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. (SPOILER ALERT) The motorcycle scenes seemed familiar to me but the part that *really* stood out to me as the last couple scenes. Ryo, aka Satan, lies next to Akira (who is dead), in a sea of what looks like blood, and talks to the Akira's body as he gazed into the sky. THIS GAVE ME HEAVY, HEAVY EVANGELION VIBES!!!!! There is a similar scene in one of the ending episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. This article talks about the cinematic parallels between the two. To be honest, I kind of hated that they took that route with the ending.

As someone who gets headaches from the word "Evangelion," the ending of Devilman gave me horrific war flashbacks to the infamous ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion. However, I won't ignore the fact that I heavily enjoyed the progression of the story as a whole. I liked the parts that exposed humanity as a truly corrupt species, and it was pretty relatable considering everything that's going on right now (corona).

My final rating: 8/10. You probably won't dislike the ending Devilman: Crybaby as much as I did if you haven't seen Evangelion yet.

Amazon.com: Neon Genesis Evangelion Throw Blanket - Rei Ayanami ...
Neon Genesis Evangelion Review

*SO* many people told me to watch this. Yes, they mentioned that the ending was bad, but I didn't think it would be *that* bad. Honestly, it could be that I am too dumb to understand the true message and meaning behind this show, but in my defense, I did not sign up to watch introspective philosophical BS. All I wanted to do was watch a mecha anime with interesting characters, and for a while there, I thought that I did.

One thing Evangelion did right was the characters. They had flaws, they were selfish, but most importantly, they were real. They got frustrated and cried for no reason. They had mixed emotions about their jobs and each other. They all were trying to figure out who they were and what they meant to themselves and each other. It was amazing to watch them, but it was what frustrated me most about the show.

Because the characters were so well written, I got really emotionally attached and all I wanted was for the story to end happily ever after. It was heart-crushing to see the story end the way it did. I wanted to see Asuka become good friends (or even more) with Shinji and Misato. I wanted Rei to be genuine and finally open up to Shinji. I wanted Shinji and Kaoru to be together (!!!). And before you accuse me of being a fujoshi for that last one, I'm not (any more oof). You can tell that Shinji really, really loved Kaoru even though they had only known each other for a few days. The fact that Shinji had to kill Kaoru was heartbreaking for all of us. I really just wanted to see Shinji happy.

 The way the show ended honestly felt like a cop-out to me. It felt as if they didn't have the resources to end the show properly so they literally made the entire show a fever dream. I even tried watching the movies and OVAs to get a better grasp of the story but I still don't get it.

I will say: the opening song is indescribably good. Honestly watch it so you can hear that fire for 26 episodes straight.

My final rating: 5.7/10. Don't watch if you want a massive headache for days. Ruined the words "neon," "genesis," and "Evangelion" for me :(

B: The Beginning (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb
B: The Beginning Review

I liked it. There honestly isn't that much to say about this anime. I liked the concept, I liked the characters, I liked the animation. I feel like there were some loose ends to the plot that were never tied up and the pacing was a little wonky, but this anime wasn't particularly good or bad. I liked the ending song a lot. I would recommend this anime, but you honestly won't be missing out on much if you didn't watch it.

My final rating: 6/10. Pretty average anime, in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading!

a n i m e   r e c o m m e n d a t i o n:
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Themes: Romance, School, Shoujo

s o n g  r e c o m m e n d a t i o n:
City in the Sky by Kanye West (unreleased Yandhi version)
Also known as Sky City

e m a i l   m e:
liedowntrynottocrycryalot@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just one thing that we have in common--neither of us should exist... | quarantine update

~Every~Thing~Is~Falling~Apart~